Pretty soon the first line of MGs began to appear, which were Kimber- designed coach-built tourer bodies built on a Morris Cowley chassis, marketed as the MG Chummy.
A few years later, MG released the 14/28 Super Sports model, the first actual MG, with the car fitted with the traditional octagonal logo which has become a feature of every MG released ever since.
MG was encouraged to grow independently by proprietor Lord Nuffield, then swept into his Nuffield Organisation in 1935.
By 1939, most MGs had become up-market relatives of other Nuffield marques — Morris, and particularly Wolseley — but had kept their sports car pedigree (the TA/TB types) alive.
MG's most significant advantage was that it assembled its cars at Abingdon, south of Oxford, in a dedicated plant.
Post-war expansion concentrated on a succession of sports cars — TC, TD, TF and the all-new MGA, but saloons like the YA and Magnette ZA types became commercially important too.
From the mid-fifties, BMC (who had absorbed the Nuffield Group) imposed its will on MG.
All future models except the Twin Cam used corporate engines, and transmission assemblies were assembled in their massive plants in the Midlands of England.
With Austin-Healey assembly concentrated at Abingdon from 1957-58, this became a dedicated BMC sports car factory, meaning that during the Sixties MG saloons such as the Magnette Mk III and 1100 were always constructed at a different plant.
Although vast numbers of Midgets and MGBs were sold, by the end of the Seventies, a series of amalgamations and consolidations in the UK, car industry signalled the end of the MG brand and with it Cecil Kimber’s visions.
Tragically, Kimber was not around to see MG reach anywhere near their peak during the Fifties and Sixties, as he perished in a rail crash in 1945.