Although conceived before the BMC merger, the Morris Oxford Series II was one of the very first models produced by the group powered by the brand-new corporate B-Series engine.
With its standout bulbous design, the Morris Oxford Series II replaced the Oxford MO in 1954.
Apart from the continuation of the model name, there was almost no carryover from the MO, both in terms of technical aspects or exterior and interior design.
The Morris Oxford, Series II car, had a completely new format while its running gear, based around a 1489cc engine generating 50 bhp, four-speed gearbox and hypoid-bevel rear axle were all drawn from the new B-Series parts bin.
The interior style of the Morris Oxford Series II was such that the fascia was situated quite a distance ahead of the bench front seat, while the steering column and steering wheel were considerably offset.
As well as a four-door saloon, a four door taveller estate car
In 1956 the Morris Minor II was given a minor facelift, after which it was re-launched in early 1957 at the Earls Court Show, alongside its poor relation, the Isis Series II.
Panelwork changes consisting of a new bonnet top with scooped out flutes on each side, and re-designed rear wings were revealed which now gave the vehicle a mildly finned effect.
The Oxford now featured hooded headlamp rims, although these were not included on the Isis, although the Isis now proudly sported a mesh backing to the grille, which quickly distinguished it from the Oxford especially when the car was viewed head-on.
A full-width padded facia top and a deeply-dished safety steering wheel were also introduced.
In answer to complaints received on the mark II version, the Mark III was fitted with a completely re-designed steering column gearchange that gave rather more accurate gear selection than the previous version, and so largely overcame the criticism levelled at the earlier models in this respect.
Engine power on the Oxford Series III had been increased to 55bhp, and two-pedal semi-automatic Manumatic transmission became an option, and the facelift included longer rear wings and a somewhat contrived duotone paint job along the flanks. The fascia and control layout were also much improved. With the release of the Mark three version, came the series IV steel-bodied Traveller estate which had four doors, based more closely on the saloon body and came with four doors, making it more versatile than the possibly more attractive “Woody”'s two-door body which was by then only avialable in the Mark 2 Isis Variation. In these formats the Morris Oxford Series remained in production until early in 1959 when they were replaced by the wholly re-styled Farina Oxfords
Got a question, a comment, a suggestion or an offer??? - FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US ANYTIME!!
A guide to acquiring, restoring and maintaining UK or European Classic Cars of the Fifties and Sixties- as well as a recollection of the iconic cars of the era and the visionaries that produced them.
Take me back to the home page.