Announced in July 1947, the entirely new Standard Vangaurdwas the result of a two-year development programme in which the demands of worldwide markets had been given much consideration.

The Vangaurdwas intended to replace the entire range of existing Standard products (basically their pre-war range) by the middle of the following year, at which time the company would settle down to a "one model policy" for the foreseeable future.

The backbone of the Vangaurdwas a box-section chassis with a deep cruciform bracing of the centre section, with two outriggers on each side — both within the wheelbase — forming sturdy jacking points.

Apart from the relatively narrow transverse member at the extreme rear, there was no chassis bracing aft of the rear axle line, and in fact, the back end of the car as a whole relied on the bodywork for adequate torsional rigidity.

Of six light, four-door design, the full-width bodywork was of all steel construction. It's styling — which gave it something of the look of a scaled down Hudson Commodore — displaying a somewhat surprising degree of transatlantic influence for a product of a wholly British company.

 Protection at each end was by substantial chrome plated bumpers; their attachment points being the ends of the full-length chassis members.

The counterbalanced bonnet was hinged at the rear, although due to its narrowing almost to a point at the front, under bonnet accessibility was still very restricted due to the high full-width front wings.

In either format, the Vangaurdwas as imposing as it was powerful, driven by a 2-litre overhead camshaft engine, matched to a three-speed gearbox synchronised and was operated by change gear-lever.

The Vanguard, with its sweeping lines, proved to be a hit with the UK public throughout the Fifties,  and succeeded in remaining in production, undergoing a constant series of changes and updates until taken out of production in 1963.

1

2

3.

4

5

7

8