Not long after the founding of the British Motor Corporation (BMC), Wolseley announced the launch of their 4/44 saloon.

The 4/44 was the last of the Nuffield designed cars, developed to be a replacement for the Wolseley 4/50.

As became an increasing practice over the years with BMC, much of the basic layout and general engineering specifications of the 4/44 were used on the soon to be launched MG Magnette ZA.

Another farewell to the Nuffield days was that the 4/44 was the last new model to be powered by the XPAG engine developed for Morris and MG engine, and had been previously fitted to T-Series MGs as well as MG YA/YB series saloons.

The Wolseley  4/44 despite being reasonably small was quite heavy, meaning that its 1250 cc engine was often known to struggle, especially on long climbs or when extra acceleration was called for.

Despite that possible shortcoming, the 4/44 had a lot going for it, offering numbers of traditional features such as the conventional Wolseley radiator grille, with the extra touch of having its badge capable of lighting up at night.

To add to the traditional feel, a wood veneer fascia, plus leather seat coverings, became standard in 1954 and the interior panel was nicely fitted with circular instruments.

By 1956, the powers that be at BMC decided that the days for the 4/44 were numbered and the model was discontinued to be replaced by the Wolseley 15/50.

To add to the traditional feel, a wood veneer fascia, plus leather seat coverings, became standard in 1954 and the interior panel was nicely fitted with circular instruments.

By 1956, the powers that be at BMC decided that the days for the 4/44 were numbered and the model was discontinued to be replaced by the Wolseley 15/50.

1

2

3.

4

5

7

8