Singer of Coventry, founded by the renowned cycle-maker George Singer, took their first steps in the world of automotive transport when they began producing simple pedal cycles way back in 1876.The next stage in the Singer company's evolvement was motorcycle production, advanced through being granted the marketing rights for the revolutionary Perks and Birch motorised wheel. This breakthrough paved the way for Singer to become among the leading producers of front wheel powered motorised bicycles and tricycles in the United Kingdom at the turn of the 20th century. Having developed a strong client base Singer finally began to produce petrol driven three-wheeled motor cars in 1905. These cars were produced under license from the larger and longer established Lea Francis automobile manufacturing company, also based in Coventry. Things continued to go well for Singer and by the end of the Nineteen Twenties, had grown to become among the U.K.'s leading car makers, both regarding innovation and production, at one time reaching the level of the fourth largest auto producer in the country. At the same time, Singer were earning themselves a reputation as innovators in production technology, among the first to introduce independent front suspensions and fluid-coupling transmissions among other developments. The Thirties were to prove much more challenging for the company, due to the major depression that was taking its toll on global trade. Despite the downturn, Singer held on through the decade, although they had little money to invest in updating equipment and technologies at their factories in the Midlands cities of Birmingham and Coventry.