The DB2 was undoubtedly the first true "David Brown" car to emerge from the company's Feltham production unit.
The DB2’s chassis and running gear were so well designed that they remained the basis of all the Aston Martin’s road cars produced throughout the Fifties, with the basic design style persisting although being modified continuously as newer models were released.
Produced with a multi-tube frame and with shorter-wheelbase than the DB1, Aston Martin took their time on developing the DB2s design.
Several significant changes were made to “stiffen up” to the car's chassis and make it more durable.
During this stage of its development, the DB2's rear axle went under a major modification.
The DB2’s elegant styling was the work of Frank Feeley, previously a stylist for Lagonda, while the well-braced chassis came from Claude Hill's DB1 design.
The body was a sleek two-seater fastback (though not a hatchback) mainly clothed in aluminium, which set the template for many other later Aston Martins.
Like the DB1, the car’s windscreen was still in two pieces, and seating was by the split bench.
The original grille, with vertical slats in the centre section, was displaced by a face-lifted version (and horizontal slats) in 1951, by which time a smart two-seater drophead version by Tickford was also on sale.
To the motoring press of the period, the DB2 was the recipient of may accolades, although they did concur that the vehicle was still in need of further refinement.
Aston Martin were also aware of the fact, meaning that the DB2 was discontinued in 1953 to be replaced by the DB2/DB4.