With the winds of change running rapidly throughout BMC, in 1957 both the A40 and A50 versions of the Austin Cambridge were discontinued to be replaced by the A55.
The Austin A55 Cambridge bore a very strong resemblance to its predecessors as far as body there was concerned, apart from having small fins on the rear wings, a longer boot and a considerably larger rear window.
The principal difference mechanically from its predecessors was that the A55 had a floor-mounted gearshift, doing away with the dashboard-mounted option.
Apart from that major mechanical change, the Austin A55 Cambridge was nothing more than a simple remodelling of its predecessors, powered by the same 1489cc B-series engine used in the A 50, although with a higher compression ratio of 51 hp (38 kW).
Apart from the addition of a SU carburettor, the A55 was little more than an interim model until the launch of the Mark II designed by Italian auto designers Farina.
In January 1957, the A55 Cambridge was introduced to replace the A50 model. It used the same 1.5 LB-Series engine as its predecessor at 4250 rpm was now available.
The yardstick of Austin’s tremendous popularity during the Fifties was that 154,000 of the A 55 Cambridge were produced in the two years that the car was in production, till it was discontinued to the replaced by the eagerly awaited Pininfarina-designed A55 Cambridge in 1959.
Despite the saloon version being eased out of production, Austin continued to produce both the van and pick-up versions until 1973. with these offshoots remaining steadily in demand until they were finally withdrawn.