The Triumph factory lay dormant for a number of years until it was tg having gone into acquired by the Standard Motor Company in 1944.
With demand for new motors cars on the rise company chairman Sir John Black was anxious to see the Triumph factory in Coventry get back into production.
In order to make Black’s vision a reality, the Triumph design team literarily worked round the clock to design not one but two post-war Triumphs, both of which were launched early in 1946.
The first was a simple 2+2 open top, called the Roadster, while the other was a spacious family saloon, originally titled the Triumph 1800 although rapidly renamed the Renown.
The first post-war Triumph saloon car had much in common mechanically with the company's sports models, as it was built around the same tubular chassis and fitted with an 1800 cc engine,
In February of 1949, the Saloon received its first upgrade becoming known as the 2000 (Type TDA) and equipped with the 68bhp 2088cc Standard Vanguard engine matched to a three-speed gearbox and rear axle.
This latest upgrade was offered to proved to be only temporary, and in October 1949 the 2000 eventually became the Renown.